Friday, March 18, 2011

Chapters

For almost 2 years I worked at Chapters in the children's department. It was such an amazing experience that certainly shaped my understanding of the important of literacy. I had the opportunity to work very closely with teachers, educators, librarians, and parents to select and recommend books that would meet many different children with many different needs. I read a lot and stayed up to date on current children's books and authors. I also got to share my love of reading through many events hosted by the store.

Through Chapters I was able to raise money through personal and customer donation and awareness for their Love of Reading foundation. The foundation put books in underprivileged local schools and invited the students of 2 of the classes to come in to the store and each pick out a new book to be added to the library. I loved helping the students pick out books and giving teachers new materials. It was so amazing to see students so excited about reading!

Another experience I had through Chapters was celebrating the release of various books with kids and encouraging them to read through various theme days like Talk Like a Pirate Day.
I will always remember my time working at Chapters fondly.

Photobucket
During the release of the final Harry Potter book I spent 8 hours dressed as Moaning Myrtle running around the store crying to kids dressed up as Harry. I was interviewed for the paper and had a blast.





Photobucket
The 100th Anniversary of Anne of Green Gables saw me dressed and acting as Anne for a day (despite a migraine!) and telling her tales to children. This is me dressed up with the book.




Photobucket
Anne reads to children about her hair being put in ink!





Photobucket
Anne helps some children make braids like hers.





Photobucket
Moaning Myrtle and the rest of the staff posing for the release of Harry Potter




Photobucket
A mermaid sits in a pool with a guitar to sing songs and tell pirate folklore




Photobucket
The mermaid is joined by a pirate with his harmonica!




Photobucket
The mermaid sings the Pirate Gospel